Cuisine at home Forums
Opening day of Bass Season - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: Opening day of Bass Season (/showthread.php?tid=59186)

Opening day of Bass Season - farnfam - 06-23-2008

The fishermen amongst us will know that Saturday was opening day here in NY, and I guess elsewhere??
We went out in the canoe in the evening and caught a half dozen. Only a few big enuff to keep. But we had a wonderful supper of oven fried bass filets, creamy orzo with lemon basil and some greenbeans and onions. Simple but very satifying
Cis
Empress for Life

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - cjs - 06-23-2008

"oven fried bass filets" Oh cis, that sound so good!!

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - pjcooks - 06-23-2008

Quote:

"oven fried bass filets" Oh cis, that sound so good!!

So does the creamy orzo with lemon basil, Cis! I've been on an orzo/ risotto kick lately.

PJ

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - Gourmet_Mom - 06-23-2008

Both sound good to me. I may have to try that orzo for sure!

Not too many bass in the lake that I know of, but used to be lots of perch. We've noticed this year, there are no beds in the grass in front of the house and not many to be caught. William was just ranting that he's figured it out. There have been river cats found in the lake recently. He thinks some person introduced the species to the lake and they're eating up the perch. I don't dare mention fishing again, unless I want him to burst a blood vessel.

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - Trixxee - 06-23-2008

What is a river cat?

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - Gourmet_Mom - 06-23-2008

Sorry, catfish. The ones found in the river are called river catfish...there are many varieties. The ones found naturally in the lake usually only get about 10 or 12 pounds, while the river cats can get up to 40 or 50.

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - farnfam - 06-23-2008

OH lol, I was thinking like cougar?? Bobcat??
Cis
Empress for Life
ps Maybe the DEC would have an answer, they're suppose to keep an index

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - Trixxee - 06-23-2008

LOL - Here I was thinking it was some kind of feral cat that somehow knows how to swim and is gobbling up fish.

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - labradors - 06-23-2008

...and I thought it was a saxophone player who had a gig down by the docks.

Re: Opening day of Bass Season - bjcotton - 06-23-2008

Once I tried orzo, Daphne, I was hooked! You can add this and that to flavor it differently, but it's all good!