Cuisine at home Forums
dry sherry vs cream sherry - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: dry sherry vs cream sherry (/showthread.php?tid=47577)

dry sherry vs cream sherry - Gourmet_Mom - 01-19-2008

OK, I'm making the Sherry Mushroom Sauce tonight and the only thing the store had even close was cream sherry, the recipe calls for dry. Should I use the cream sherry, cooking sherry, or white wine?

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - lxxf - 01-19-2008

White wine, or vermouth. Cream sherry will be sweet, which you don't want for this sauce. Good luck.

Sally

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - cjs - 01-19-2008

I agree with Sally on this.

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - Gourmet_Mom - 01-19-2008

Thanks...I started to grab the vermouth instead, since I'm out and didn't think the cream sherry was right, but I already had a HUGE grocery bill. I'll return the sherry and switch it for the vermouth at another time. Thanks again!

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - labradors - 01-19-2008

Yep. Vermouth could work, as well, but just remember to use the DRY vermouth (pale/white). The sweet vermouth (red/amber) would be just as out of place as the cream sherry.

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - cjs - 01-19-2008

I can't stress it enough - for those of you who are not prolific drinkers like Lorraine, Denise, Sharon & a few others, it's such a good idea to buy a bottle of Noilly Pratt and just keep it in your cupboard -no refrigeration needed and it's a wonderful white wine/dry sherry/etc. addition to dishes.

:

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - labradors - 01-19-2008

BTW, since this is for the sauce, compare the recipe that CJ posted with what's actually in the magazine (I can't do that).

The posted version says to use 3 cups of mushrooms, but also says the recipe only yields 1 cup of sauce. Sure, mushrooms shrink a bit when they cook, but I doubt that it's THAT much, so the recipe in the magazine probably said "3/4" and CJ just missed the "/4" when typing. I know, I've done that kind of thing, before, when the phone rang or someone came to the door while I was typing, but when I got back to typing, I didn't quite pick up exactly where I left off.

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - Harborwitch - 01-19-2008

Would those "few others" be the other 3 wineauxs in a certain photograph???? Hmmmmmm! LOL

Dry sherry is for cooking - cream sherry is for drinking!

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - Gourmet_Mom - 01-19-2008

So, Noilly Pratt, dry vermouth, white and red wine are good things to keep on hand. I usually keep all except the Noilly Pratt. I came sooo close to picking up a bottle the last time I was in "town". I'll be sure to get some next time I'm there. Thanks all!

Labs, it will be an interesting comparison....I'll say no more!

Re: dry sherry vs cream sherry - cjs - 01-20-2008

Uhhhh, no labs - the recipe I typed was proof read and is correct - 3 cups of mixed mushrooms and they state the yield is "1 cup" - haven't made yet, so can't post just how much sauce this actually makes.