Cuisine at home Forums
60+ Years Ago.... - Printable Version

+- Cuisine at home Forums (https://www.forums.cuisineathome.com)
+-- Thread: 60+ Years Ago.... (/showthread.php?tid=100024)

60+ Years Ago.... - cjs - 05-06-2010

...these were my favorite sandwiches!! Haven't thought of them since. I love For Better or Worse cartoon.

http://www.fborfw.com/strip_fix/

wonder bread slathered with softened (we left it on the counter) butter and sprinkled with granulated sugar

Anyone else remember these? and we probably made as big a mess.

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - DFen911 - 05-06-2010

Well I used to eat Peanut Butter and Miracle Whip sandwiches.

How I survived I will never know

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - Harborwitch - 05-06-2010

Brown sugar or granulated. Depended on what was handy. Plain ol' mayonnaise sammies - yum.

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - cjs - 05-06-2010

We're all sick little puppies you know, don't you?

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - foodfiend - 05-06-2010

I loved lettuce sandwiches-- iceberg lettuce and soft white bread. Go figure!

Jean, I never heard of butter-and-sugar sandwiches! But I love that comic strip.

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - esgunn - 05-06-2010

I did the lettuce sandwiches too. Or just took a slice of wonderbread and balled it up and ate it. Eewww!

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - pjcooks - 05-06-2010

I went to school with a girl whose mother packed her 3 or 4 of these for lunch everyday, first I ever heard of them. When I did this at home (I was around 8 or 9) my mother had such a strong opinion about my lunch I didn't do it again.

They were good, though!

PJ

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - labradors - 05-06-2010

Well, my parents were only in middle school 60 years ago, but I do remember having butter-and-sugar sandwiches once or twice when I was little. Also, my mom has said that when she was a kid, one of her favourite sandwiches was a mustard sandwich, and she still likes them.

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - cjs - 05-06-2010

"Or just took a slice of wonderbread and balled it up" and bounce it on the sidewalk!!!

I think my liking butter and sugar sandwiches comes from my heritage of eating lefse with soft butter and sugar.

"Well, my parents were only in middle school 60 years ago," - yeah, just rub it in, KID

Re: 60+ Years Ago.... - Mare749 - 05-06-2010

I never ate butter and sugar sandwiches, but sure did like velveeta and miracle whip on white bread.

Ron used to eat radish sandwiches on buttered white bread when he was a kid. We still like those.